Airborne Collision Avoidance System (ACAS) Manual (Doc 9863)
Notes for digital publications
|ICAO publications in digital format are protected by security features and require Adobe Reader. How to install Adobe Reader
- Files are in PDF format
- Annotations and copy and paste is permitted
- No editing of the original content is permitted
- Printing is not permitted
- Your access entitles you to updates of this edition for a period of 5 years
- Access is for a single user (contact us to purchase a multiple user licence)
- Your username and password to access the publication will be the same to access the ICAO online store
In order to meet the demands for more operational flexibility with potential reduction of separations, a new type of ACAS, ACAS X, has been introduced. Implementation of ACAS X is expected to minimize nuisance alerts, while maintaining existing levels of safety. Additionally, ACAS X will be capable of accommodating reduced separation minima, operation of new aircraft types (i.e. RPA) and other new procedures.
This manual has been updated by the Surveillance Panel (SP) as a reference document to supplement ACAS X provisions which will be included in Annex 10 — Aeronautical Telecommunications, Volume IV — Surveillance and Collision Avoidance Systems. This new edition describes general technical guidance, operational differences between ACAS X and the existing ACAS II systems, and operational aspects including recommended training and considerations to intruders with very high vertical rates.
|3rd Edition, 2021