iPack - Implementing a Visible Digital Seal for Non-Constrained Environments (VDS-NC) for Travel-Related Health Proofs
Should you have any queries on this iPack, please complete this expression of interest.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When proceeding to complete this online purchase, you are agreeing to the following iPacks Terms and Conditions.
This Implementation Package (iPack) is a self-contained package aimed at facilitating and guiding State authorities such as ministries of interior, foreign affairs, health and technology, and their agencies, in the implementation of the ICAO Visible Digital Seal for Non-Constrained Environments (VDS-NC) as a secure tool for encoding health information for use in travel.
It includes relevant documentation, tools and a virtual course to build capacities for the implementation of all technical, organizational and administrative arrangements necessary for the issuing of health proofs containing VDS-NC barcodes that will be read and trusted globally and for the proper validation of the health proofs issued by others. A dedicated expert will work remotely with the designated stakeholders, providing guidance in their implementation efforts to achieve the objectives of the iPack. The level of progress made in achieving each iPack objective depends on the availability of States’ resources to perform the work.
The goal of this iPack is to facilitate and guide designated authorities in the timely (or “rapid”) implementation of VDS-NC specifications, both for issuance and inspection, with a view to ensuring global interoperability and mutual recognition of health proofs for travel, including vaccination certificates and certificates of medical test results.
After having successfully deployed this iPack, the designated authority will be better equipped to:
- draft an action plan for implementing a public health-based Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) framework or for applying an existing Machine Readable Travel Document (MRTD) framework for the issuance of health proofs. The plan must align with the ICAO electronic MRTD PKI model and Doc 9303 Parts 9 to 13, and provide guidance to public health authorities, travel document issuing authorities, and other entities;
- create an internal health proof stakeholder group, within the State, that includes those entities responsible for coordination and internal communications;
- design or improve existing processes for the verification of VDS-NC, aligned with ICAO provisions for travel documents and health proofs; and
- prepare internal processes for uploading and downloading Member States’ Country Signing Certification Authorities (CSCAs) and VDS-NC signers to the ICAO Health Master List for verification of health proofs.
The target audience of this iPack comprises State authorities such as ministries of interior, foreign affairs, health and technology, and their agencies, that intend to implement the ICAO VDS-NC for the issuance of health proofs for travel and to ensure the trusted reading of VDS-NC health proofs at borders.
- A dedicated MRTD subject matter expert for an expected duration of 15 workdays over a period of three months, providing remote support to authorities in achieving in achieving the iPack Objectives.
- VDS-NC Fundamentals: Virtual Course – 12 participants for a duration of two days
- Decision aids
- ICAO Annexes
- Guidance material
* Additional seats for training as well as expert workdays can be provided at an additional cost.